TEI Curricular Options/Certification Areas
For those seeking an Initial Teacher Certificate to be eligible to teach in public schools throughout the State of New York, the following curricular options are available for the indicated certification areas:
- Childhood (grades 1-6)
- Childhood (grades 1-6) with bilingual extension
- Early Childhood (birth-grade 2)
- Early Childhood (birth-grade 2) with bilingual extension
- Early Childhood & Childhood (birth-grade 2 and grades 1-6)
Grades 7 - 12; grades 5 - 6 extension available in some areas
- English Language Arts
- Languages other than English (French, German, Latin, and Spanish)
- Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, and Physics)
- Social Studies Education
Pre-K - Grade 12
For those who already hold a valid Initial Teacher Certificate issued by the New York State Education Department and are interested in a program leading to a recommendation for a Professional Teacher Certificate in the same certification area, review the master's degree program options offered through the Department of Learning and Instruction.
For those interested in teacher certification as a literacy specialist, review the
Literacy Specialist program offered through the Department of Learning and Instruction.