Teacher Education Institute (TEI)
Did you know?
● The University at Buffalo teacher education program, which is designed to prepare caring, qualified, and competent teachers who can work effectively with students from various cultures with a wide variety of abilities and needs, is granted accreditation by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) for a period of seven years, from June 11, 2012 to June 11, 2019.
● GSE is committed to the preparation of teachers who can navigate the complexities of today's classrooms.
● GSE prepares highly-qualified teachers in high-need certification areas such as ESOL, Languages other than English, Mathematics, and the Sciences.
● The application deadline for the teacher education program has been extended for fall 2014. We continue to accept applications on a space-available basis. For assistance with an application, please call the Office of Admissions at 716-645-2110.
Need More Info?
Teacher Education InstituteGraduate School of Education
University at Buffalo
375 Baldy Halll
Buffalo, NY 14260-1000
(716) 645-2461 phone
(716) 645-3631 fax
The teacher education program of the University at Buffalo (UB) is offered at the graduate level through the Graduate School of Education (GSE). Upon successful completion of this program, students are eligible to apply to the New York State Education Department for the issuance of an Initial Teacher Certificate to be able to teach in public schools throughout New York State (program completers may also utilize this to then apply for teaching positions in other states via the certification application process referred to as interstate reciprocity).
Certification Areas Offered
- Early Childhood, Birth - Grade 2 (with or without Bilingual Extension)
- Childhood, Grades 1 - 6 (with or without Bilingual extension)
- Early Childhood and Childhood, Birth - Grade 2 and Grades 1 - 6
- Adolescence, Grades 7 - 12 (with or without grades 5 - 6 extension, or grades 1-6 extension for Languages other than English):
- English Language Arts
- Languages other than English (French, Latin, Spanish)
- Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics)
- Social Studies
- All Grades:
- English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Additional information is available at Curricular Options.
The Teacher Education Institute (TEI) is the office in GSE responsible for the field experience and student teaching components of the teacher education program. Within GSE, TEI works closely with the Department of Learning and Instruction (LAI), as well as in conjunction with the Departments of Counseling, School, and Educational Psychology (CSEP), Educational Leadership and Policy (ELP), and Library and Information Studies (LIS), as well as many other departments and offices throughout UB. Additionally, throughout the Western New York community, TEI has relationships with various preK-12 school districts with whom we work collaboratively to provide intensive, mentored field experience and student teaching opportunities for our students preparing to become intellectually-curious, critically-reflective, and practically-informed educators for the profession of teaching.
David T Cantaffa, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean for Teacher Education
Director of the Teacher Education Institute