Teacher Education Institute (TEI)
Need More Info?
Teacher Education Institute
Graduate School of Education
University at Buffalo
375 Baldy Halll
Buffalo, NY 14260-1000
(716) 645-2461 phone
(716) 645-3631 fax
Interim Assistant Dean for Teacher Education, Interim Director of the Teacher Education Institute, and Program Director of Music Education
The teacher education program of the University at Buffalo (UB) is offered at the graduate level through the Graduate School of Education (GSE). Upon successful completion of this program, students are eligible to apply to the New York State Education Department for the issuance of an Initial Teacher Certificate to be able to teach in public schools throughout New York State (program completers may also utilize this to then apply for teaching positions in other states via the certification application process referred to as interstate reciprocity).
The Teacher Education Institute (TEI) is the office in GSE responsible for the field experience and student teaching components of the teacher education program. Within GSE, TEI works closely with the Department of Learning and Instruction (LAI), as well as in conjunction with the Departments of Counseling, School, and Educational Psychology (CSEP), Educational Leadership and Policy (ELP), and Library and Information Studies (LIS), as well as many other departments and offices throughout UB. Additionally, throughout the Western New York community, TEI has relationships with various preK-12 school districts with whom we work collaboratively to provide intensive, mentored field experience and student teaching opportunities for our students preparing to become intellectually-curious, critically-reflective, and practically-informed educators for the profession of teaching.
Certification Areas Offered
- Early Childhood, Birth - Grade 2 (with or without Bilingual Extension)
- Childhood, Grades 1 - 6 (with or without Bilingual extension)
- Early Childhood and Childhood, Birth - Grade 2 and Grades 1 - 6
- Adolescence, Grades 7 - 12 (with or without grades 5 - 6 extension, or grades 1-6 extension for Languages other than English):
- English Language Arts
- Languages other than English (French, Latin, Spanish)
- Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics)
- Social Studies
- All Grades:
- English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Additional information is available at Certification Options.