Foreign and Second Language Education (Ph.D.)
The mission of the doctoral program in Foreign and Second Language Education is to foster development of foreign/second language education practitioners and researchers who can understand, analyze and improve language teaching, learning and language policy in diverse educational contexts.
Through a wide range of courses, research-based experiences and professional development opportunities, our goals are to instill in students:
- a deep understanding of language theory and an ability to thoughtfully apply it;
- abilities to carry out principled, meaningful and rigorous research and to apply research to real-world educational challenges; and
- a professionalism and engaged scholarship that involves participation in the exchange of ideas and advancement of the field as a whole.
Program of Study
24 credit hours in Concentration
28 credit hours in Research (21 credits of courses, 6 hours of research component, 1 credit of research analysis exam)
10 credit hours in Dissertation
62 doctoral credit hours
10 relevant credit hours from master’s degree
72 total credit hours
Other Programs in Foreign and Second Language
In addition to LOTE, there are other programs in foreign and second language education offered through the Department of Learning and Instruction.
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL): This program leads to an Ed.M. degree from the University at Buffalo, but does not lead to a recommendation for a New York State teacher certificate and instead is intended for those who are interested in teaching English as an additional language outside of public, PreK-12 schools in New York State, such as internationally or within community-based organizations.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL): This program leads to an Ed.M. degree from the University at Buffalo, and to a recommendation for a New York State teacher certificate and is intended for those who are interested in teaching English in public, PreK-12 schools in New York State.
- Early Childhood (birth – grade 2) or Childhood Education (grades 1-6) with Bilingual Extension: The teacher education program offers curricular options that lead to New York State teacher certificates in Early Childhood or Childhood Education with Bilingual Extension.
- Languages Other Than English (LOTE): The teacher education program offers a curricular option that leads to New York State teacher certificates (grades 7-12, plus grades 1-6 extension) in the following languages: Chinese, French, Latin, and Spanish.