English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Degrees Offered: Ed.M.
New York State Teacher Certificate Options: Initial and/or Professional
The teacher education program offers a curricular option that leads to an Ed.M. degree from the University at Buffalo and a recommendation for initial and/or professional teacher certificates in ESOL. Teacher certification in ESOL allows one to teach in public, PreK-12 schools in New York State; plus, other states, as well as schools in other countries, often hire program completers from the University at Buffalo. Therefore, this degree and the associated certification are marketable throughout New York State, nationally, and internationally.
There are two program tracks for this curricular option.
- Initial/Professional: This track is for those who do not already hold an initial teacher certificate in ESOL*
- Professional: This track is for those who hold a New York State initial teacher certificate in ESOL and are seeking a master's degree to satisfy a requirement of the professional teacher certificate in ESOL
* For those who hold an initial teacher certificate in an area other than ESOL, it might be possible to modify the requirements of this program track based on the coursework completed as part of the teacher education program that led to this other teacher certificate. For more information, please contact the Office of Admissions (http://gse.buffalo.edu/admissions; 716-645-2110).
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) - All Grades, Professional Program Track
Other Programs in Foreign and Second Language
In addition to ESOL, there are other programs in foreign and second language education offered through the Department of Learning and Instruction.
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL): This program leads to an Ed.M. degree from the University at Buffalo, but does not lead to a recommendation for a New York State teacher certificate and instead is intended for those who are interested in teaching English as an additional language outside of public, PreK-12 schools in New York State, such as internationally or within community-based organizations.
- Languages Other Than English (LOTE): The teacher education program offers a curricular option that leads to New York State teacher certificates (grades 7-12, plus grades 1-6 extension) in the following languages: Chinese, French, Latin, and Spanish.
- Early Childhood (birth-grade 2) or Childhood Education (grades 1-6) with Bilingual Extension: The teacher education program offers curricular options that lead to New York State teacher certificates in Early Childhood or Childhood Education with Bilingual Extension.
- Foreign and Second Language: For those seeking study beyond the master's degree level, there is a program that leads to a Ph.D. This program provides a comprehensive background in theory, practice, and research for those who aspire to academic appointments in universities or colleges, as well as other leadership positions within the education sector.