FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

What is the deadline for registration?

Admission for courses will vary depending on summer session start date. Please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions, Graduate School of Education at (716) 645-2110 for specific information.

Can I get a paper application sent to me?

No, we only accept online applications. The application is available here.

Is there an application fee?

There is a $35 application fee for all non-matric applications. Please note that this fee is non-refundable.

I am a UB employee. Will UUP cover the cost?

Please visit UB's Human Resource website to learn more about this. If you are eligible for UUP support and are interested in one of the courses and would like to know the registration number for the course, please call (716) 645-2110 and talk to Sara Langston.

Do you require any supporting documents?

Yes. In order to be reviewed for acceptance as a non matric student, you will need to submit an unofficial copy of your transcripts. As a new student at UB, you must provide proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella. The state also requires that all students receive information about meningococcal disease and make an informed decision about whether or not to receive immunization. As a non-matric student taking LESS THAN 6 credits, the IMM hold is waived during your first semester. You can login to the HUB Student Center using your UBIT Name and password to eliminate the MEN hold. Once these two steps are done, you can register for the appropriate course(s).

Please visit http://www.student-affairs.buffalo.edu/shs/student-health/immunization.php for more information.

When will I find out if I have been accepted?

Confirmation of admission will be emailed to you as soon as you have been granted permission to register for the course.

What is MyUB?

At UB, we know that keeping track of university deadlines, administrative offices, and course schedules can be frustrating. That's why we created MyUB, a one-stop online destination for all things UB. Best of all, we cut down on clutter by custom-tailoring much of the information to fit your needs. Stay in the loop—if it's important to your UB life, it's at MyUB.

Will the school refund the application fee of $35 if I don’t get into the class I wish to take?

The instructor of the course has to give you permission to take the course. Some courses are reserved for matriculated students and open to non matric enrollment strictly on a space available basis. In some cases, there are courses that are strictly for matriculated students and not open to non matrics and in some cases a class may be canceled after you have applied and been approved to take the class. In all such situations, every effort will be made to offer you a seat in another class. In all cases please note that if you are unable to register for a course or there is no alternate course available to offer you, the application fee cannot be refunded but may be applied to a future semester if possible.

What is the cost of a 3 credit hour course?

Students registering for courses on a part-time status will be billed by the credit hour. Using the navigation bar on the right, please view the Tuition and Costs page for details and helpful links.

Am I financially liable for courses I drop or resign?

SUNY Policy states "When you register, you assume responsibility for paying all tuition and fees associated with your registration. You must pay even if you did not attend a single class unless you have dropped or resigned your courses according to the published deadlines."

What if I want to take another non-matriculated course after my first semester?

If you are continuing on as a non-matriculated student into a consecutive semester you must obtain permission to take your course of interest. Please contact the faculty member teaching the course before enrolling. Failure to do so may result in your removal from the course.

What is continuous registration?

Graduate students must register for (and pay all tuition and fees not covered by a tuition scholarship) a minimum of one credit hour each fall and spring term. Students who hold a bachelor's degree are permitted to register for graduate coursework as non-matriculated students for a maximum of 12 credit hours. If there is any break in your registration you must fill out a new application and pay another $35 application fee in order to be able to take another course.

How do I get to the University at Buffalo?

Typically, classes - if not offered online or off campus - will most likely meet on the North Campus. Please view directions to UB North Campus.

Is a parking permit required?

Student parking is by permit only, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.–3 p.m. Student permits are not valid in Faculty/Staff lots or paid lots. If your course is offered after 3 pm or not offered on campus, you may not need a parking permit.  However, should you wish to have a parking permit, you are required to register motor vehicles annually with the Office of Parking and Transportation Services. Online registration is available through MyUB.

My class is over. How and when do I receive my grade?

Grades are typically posted a few weeks after the end of the semester. You may log into MyUB to view your grade.

How do I request my transcript?

Please note transcripts are not issued automatically by the University. You may request your transcript through the Office of the Registrar by filling out their request form and faxing it to them at (716) 645-7762. This form can only be used by students whose last semester of attendance was Fall 2010 or earlier. If you were enrolled during the Spring 2011 semester or later, you must request your transcript via your HUB Student Center at http://myub.buffalo.edu.

What other programs are offered by the Graduate School of Education?

The Graduate School of Education offers an extensive array of advanced certificates, master's and doctoral programs, preparing graduates for a variety of careers in teaching, counseling, and administration, including schools, colleges, and universities. These programs are offered through four departments:

Programs offered in each department are listed on the GSE programs page.

Who do I contact if I have questions?

We welcome any questions you might have. Questions may be directed to:

Baylee Richards
Recruitment & Marketing Coordinator
Office of Graduate Admissions and Student Services
Email: bayleeri@buffalo.edu
Phone: (716) 645-2110