GSE and Confucius Institute Collaborate on Fulbright-Hays Award
Dr. Lilliam Malavé, associate professor from the Department of Learning and Instruction (LAI), in collaboration with Dr. Eric Yang, executive director of the UB Confucius Institute, received a Fulbright-Hays Award from the U.S. Department of Education to fund an international research study "Learning Mandarin Chinese and Culture: An Immersion Environment." The project will provide Mandarin language and Chinese culture immersion classes, seminars, tutoring, home stay, and guided site visits through a six week intensive overseas stay in Beijing during Summer 2014, with follow-up activities in Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 at the University at Buffalo.
The award will fund scholarships for nine individuals to participate in the study: four Western New York educators in the field of Mandarin as a foreign language and international studies and five UB undergraduate seniors interested in pursuing a master’s degree in education with certification in Mandarin. Interested applicants must be available in Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 for pre-departure guided activities to prepare for the overseas immersion experience.
Collaborating on the project are these GSE and UB faculty and staff:
- Dr. Stephen Dunnett, UB vice provost for international education;
- Dr. Janina Brutt-Griffler, LAI professor;
- Dr. Maggie Lu, associate director of the UB Confucius Institute and associate professor from Capital Normal University, Beijing;
- Dr. Fuxia Chu, associate professor from Shandong University, China, and LAI visiting professor; and
- Eunju Yang, LAI doctoral student in foreign and second language education, will be the research assistant for the project.
Apply for a Scholarship
View all News & Events