Stages and Requirements – LAI Doctoral Programs
(In addition to reading this document, all Ph.D. students should obtain and carefully read the most current edition of the Graduate School's Graduate Student Manual: Policies and Procedures for Graduate Students. Ed.D. students should carefully read the most current edition of the Graduate School of Education's Ed.M. and Ed.D. Regulations and Procedures.)
Recommended Timeline for Ph.D. students
Confer with your assigned major advisor on all of the following.
Stage I: Advanced Graduate Standing (Completion time: 1 year full-time; 2-3 years part-time)
- Meet faculty in your program area.
- Fill in the Initial Course Plan Statement (ICPS) –make personal copies of all paper work
- Fill in Graduate School petition form for (a) any credits that over 10 years old at student’s admission and (b) for all non-UB transfer credits.
- Use final course papers as pilot studies and/or examination of issues to probe possible dissertation questions
- Register for 18-24 credit hours (at least 9 in major courses & 9 in research courses)
- Register for & pass the Research Analysis Examination
- Submit advisor-signed ICPS to Doctoral Studies Committee (DSC)
Stage II: Doctoral Program Standing (Complete in: 1 year full-time; 2-3 years part-time)
- Read others’ dissertation proposals and dissertations & attend their defenses
- Complete 33-36 credit hours of course work
- Complete and defend the Research Experience Component in a public forum
(Complete the Human Subjects Research tutorial & get IRB approval months in advance)
- Complete Dissertation Committee Approval Form with 3 or more Graduate Faculty including your advisor, at least another LAI faculty member and another UB faculty member outside your program area (possibly in LAI). Submit to DSC. (Special Ed. Ph.D. students can pick a Buffalo State co-advisor with adjunct status in LAI Special Ed.)
- Ph.D. Students: Submit Graduate School Application to Candidacy (ATC) form to DSC
Ed.D. Students: Submit GSE Statement of Program form to DSC
- If there are substitutions to courses approved on the ICPS, file the Changes in Application to Candidacy from ICPS (page 4) & submit it with the ATC.
- Complete dissertation checklist and timeline with your advisor.
Stage III: Doctoral Candidacy (Completion time: 1-2 years full-time; 2-3 years part-time)
- For students who need full time status but not 12 credits a semester (or 9 if a GA), file a Certification of Full Time Status form (e.g., GAs, international students, loan deferrals)
- Complete & defend dissertation proposal (in a public forum)
- Complete all courses on the ICPS/ATC
(Ph.D.: Concentration: 25 credit hrs; Research: 21 hrs; LAI 645: 6 hrs)
(Ed.D.: Major: 16 hrs; Research/Measure/Evaluate: 18 hrs; Minor: 9 hrs; LAI 644: 6 hrs; Elective: 3 hrs)
- Complete & defend dissertation (in a public forum; dissertation = 10 credit hrs)
(Several forms are needed for degree conferral)