- Columbia University, Teacher's College - Administration of Special Education, Ed.D 1969
- New York University, School of Education - Administration of Camping Education, M.A. 1952
- New York University, School of Education - Industrial Arts Education, B.S. 1950
- Yiddish and Jive
- Black Male Street Corner Language and Behavior
- Experiential Learning
- Urban and Inner City Education
- Foster, H. L. (Ed.). (1990). Ribbin', jivin', and playin' the dozens: The Persistent Dilemma in Our Schools (2nd ed.). Williamsville, NY: Herbert L. Foster & Associates Incorporated.
- Foster, H. L. (1995). Educators' and non - educators' perceptions of black males: A survey. Journal of African American Men. 1(2). 37-70.
- Foster, H. L., & Iannaccone, C. J. (1994). Multicultural content in special education introduction textbook. Journal of Special Education, 21, 77-92.
Link to Dr. Foster's homepage.