Educational Leadership and Policy
Professor Pope is an Associate Professor in Higher Education Administration (and Student Affairs Administration) at the University of Buffalo. She served as the Program Coordinator of the Program from 2006 to 2014. Prior to joining the faculty at UB in 1999, she was an assistant professor of higher education at Teachers College, Columbia University from 1992-1999.
Dr. Pope's research interests and publications fall under the general rubric of multicultural education. Her research examines the components of a multicultural environment and the necessary, concrete strategies, competencies, and practices to create and maintain such campus environments. Specifically, she has focused on multicultural organization development in higher education, multicultural competence for student affairs administrators, and psychosocial development of college students of color. Professor Pope has also published more than 25 journal articles or book chapters and three books. She is the co-author (with Amy L. Reynolds and John A. Mueller) of the Jossey-Bass bestseller, Multicultural Competence in Student Affairs (2004); Creating Multicultural Change on Campus (2014) (also with Amy L. Reynolds and John A. Mueller); and Why Aren't We There Yet? Taking Personal Responsibility for Creating an Inclusive Campus (with Jan Arminio and Vasti Torres) (Stylus, 2012).
- Ed.D., Organization Development, University of Massachusetts at Amherst
- M.A., Student Personnel Services, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Research and Professional Interests
- Multicultural Competence
- Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice in Higher Education
- Multicultural Organization Development on Campus
- Social Identity Development (race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, class, multiple identities, and intersectionality)
- College Student Development
- Transformative Leadership
- American College Student
- College Student Development
- Student Affairs Administration
- Multicultural Competence
- Cultural Diversity in Higher Education
- Practicum in Higher Education Research
Awards and Honors
- ACPA Senior Scholar Award (2015)
- ACPA Annuit Coeptis-Senior Award (2013)
- ACPA Diamond Honoree for Significant Contributions to Higher Education and Student Affairs (2010)
- NASPA Robert H. Shaffer Award for Academic Excellence as Graduate Faculty Member (2009)
- NASPA Faculty Fellow (2009)
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania College of Education Distinguished Alumni Scholar (2008)
- CSPA Significant Research/Publication in Higher Education (2005)
- CSPA Distinguished Service to Higher Education (2005)
- ACPA CMA Outstanding Contribution to Multicultural Education(2004)
- ACPA Emerging Scholar Award (2001)
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania College of Education Distinguished Alumni Award (1996)
- ACPA Annuit Coeptis Emerging Scholar Award (1994)
- ACPA Emerging Scholar Award (1994)
- Pope, R. L., Reynolds, A. L., & Mueller, J. A. (Forthcoming). Developing Multicultural Competence for Inclusion and Social Justice. San Francisco: Jossey- Bass.
- Pope, R. L., Reynolds, A. L., & Mueller, J. A. (2014). Effective Multicultural Change on campus. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Arminio, J., Torres, V., & Pope, R. L. (Eds.) (2011). Why aren’t we there yet? Taking personal responsibility for creating an inclusive campus. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
- Pope, R. L., Reynolds, A. L., & Mueller, J. A. (2004). Multicultural Competence in Student Affairs. San Francisco: Jossey- Bass.
Selected Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Pope, R. L., & Mueller, J. A. (in press). Multicultural competence and change on campus. In J. Schuh, S. Jones, and V. Torres (Eds.), Student services: A handbook for the profession (6th ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Pope, R. L., & Reynolds, A. (in press). Multidimensional Identity Model (MIM) revisited: Implications for Student Affairs. In C. Wijeyesinghe (Ed.), Enacting intersectionality in student affairs. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Pope, R. L., & Mueller, J. A. (2011). Multicultural competence. In J. Schuh, S. Jones, & S. Harper (Eds.), Student services: A handbook for the profession (5th ed.) (pp. 337-352). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Pope, R. L., Mueller, J., A., & Reynolds, A. L. (2009). Looking Back and Moving Forward: Future Directions for Diversity in Student Affairs. Journal of College Student Development (50th Anniversary Special Issue), 50, 640-658.
- Pope, R. L., & Mueller, J. A. (2005). Faculty and Curriculum: Examining Multicultural Competence and Inclusion. Journal of College Student Development, 46, 679-688.
- Pope, R. L., *Weigand, M., & *Miklitsch, T. (2005). First-year students: Embracing their diversity, enhancing our practice. In Robert S. Feldman (Ed.), Improving the First Year of College: Research and Practice (pp. 51 – 71). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Pope, R. L., *Ecklund, T. R., *Miklitsch, T., & *Suresh, R. (2004). Enhancing the first-year experience for multiracial students. In L. I. Rendon, M. Garcia, D. Person (Eds.), Transforming the first year of college for students of color (pp. 161-174). Columbia, SC: National Resource Center for The First Year Experience and Students in Transition.
- Reynolds, A. L., & Pope, R. L. (2003). Multicultural competencies in counseling centers. In D. B. Pope-Davis, H. L. K. Coleman, W. M. Liu, & R. L. Toporek (Eds.), Handbook of multicultural competencies in counseling and psychology (pp. 365-382). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Mueller, J. A., & Pope, R. L. (2003). The relationship of demographic and experience variables to White racial consciousness among student affairs practitioners. NASPA Journal, 40, 149-171.
- Pope, R. L., & Reynolds, A. L. (1997). Student affairs core competencies: Integrating multicultural knowledge, awareness, and skills. Journal of College Student Development, 38, 266-277.
- Pope, R. L. (1995). Multicultural organizational development: Implications and applications in student affairs. In J. Fried (Ed.), Shifting paradigms in student affairs: A cultural perspective (pp. 233-249). Washington, DC: ACPA Media.
- Reynolds, A. L., & Pope, R. L. (1994). Perspectives on creating multicultural campuses. Journal of American College Health, 42, 229-233.
- Pope, R. L. (1993). Multicultural organization development in student affairs: An introduction. Journal of College Student Development, 34, 201-205.
- Reynolds, A. L., & Pope, R. L. (1991). The complexities of diversity: Exploring multiple oppressions. Journal of Counseling and Development, 70, 171-180.