Fenice B. Boyd
Learning and Instruction
- Adolescents' Response to Young Adult Literature
- Multicultural Literature
- Diversity Topics, Writ Large
- Young Adult Literature; Multicultural Literature
- ELA Common Core State Standards
- Content Area Literacy
- Politics of Literacy, Teaching and Teacher Education
- Ph.D., Curriculum, Teaching, and Educational Policy, Michigan State University
- M. S., Reading Education, North Carolina A&T State University
- B. S., Music Education, North Carolina A&T State University
Professional and Research Interests
- Professional Development for Teachers
- Adolescent Struggling Readers and Writers
- Diversity Topics, Writ Large
- Writing Genres
Sturtevant, E., Boyd, F. B., Brozo, W. G., Hinchman, K., Moore, D. W., & Alvermann, D. E., (2006). Principled practices for adolescent literacy: A framework for instruction and policy. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Boyd, F. B. & Brock, C. H. with Rozendal, M. S. (Eds). (2004). Multicultural and multilingual literacy and language: Contexts and practices. New York: The Guilford Press.
Boyd, F. B. (December 2012/January 2013). The common core state standards and diversity: Unpacking the text exemplars presented in appendix b. Reading Today, 16-17. (invited)
Boyd, F. B., Sullivan, M. P., Popp, J. S., & Hughes, M. (2012). Policy and advocacy: Vocabulary instruction in the disciplines. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 56(1), 18-20.
Brock, C. H., & Boyd, F. B. (2011). Fostering meaningful middle school literacy learning: Investigating beliefs and practices. Voices in the Middle, 19(1), 13-18.
Boyd, F. B., & Moore, D. W. (2011). Serving culturally and linguistically diverse youth: An interview with Fenice B. Boyd. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 54(6), 455-457.
Boyd, F. B., & Bailey, N. M. (2009). Commentary: Censorship in three metaphors. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 52(8), 653-661.
Boyd, F. B., & Ikpeze, C. H. (2007). Navigating a literacy landscape: Teaching conceptual understanding with multiple text types. Journal of Literacy Research, 39, 217-248.
Ikpeze, C. H., & Boyd, F. B. (2007). Web-based inquiry learning: Facilitating thoughtful literacy with webquest. The Reading Teacher, 60, 644-654.
Boyd, F. B., Ariail, M., Williams, R., Jocson, K., Tinker-Sachs, G., & McNeal, K., with Fecho, B., Fisher, M., Healy, M. K., Meyer, T., & Morrell, E. (2006). Real teaching for real diversity: Preparing English language arts teachers for 21st century classrooms. English Education, 38, 327-348.
Boyd, F. B., & Howe, D. R. (2006). Teaching Warriors Don't Cry with other text types to enhance comprehension. English Journal, 95, 61-68.
Book Chapters (Selected)
Brock, C. H., Boyd, F. B., & Pennington, J. L. (2011). Variation in language and the use of language across contexts: Implications for literacy teaching and learning. In D. Lapp & D. Fisher (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts (3rd edition) (pp. 83-89). New York: Routledge.
Boyd, F. B., & Thompson, M. K. (2008). Multimodality and literacy learning: Using multiple texts to enhance content-area learning. In K. A. Hinchman, & H. K. Sheridan-Thomas (Eds.), Best Practices in Adolescent Literacy Instruction (pp. 151-163). New York: The Guilford Press.
Boyd, F. B. (PI), Miller, S. M., Chiu, M. M., et al (Co-PIs). (2012). Buffalo Partnership Project: Professional Development for Teachers across the Disciplines to meet English Language Learners' Needs and Achieve Common Core Learning Standards. A professional development grant from New York State Education Department (NYSED), September 1, 2012 - August 31, 2015. (funded) $600,000
Alvermann, D. E., Boyd, F. B., Brozo, W., Hinchman, K., Moore, D., & Sturtevant, E. (2002). Adolescent Literacy: A Knowledge Development Proposal. Carnegie Corporation of New York. (funded) $48,600
Editorial Review Board Memberships
- Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, Policy and Advocacy, Department Editor, 2012–Present
- Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 2010–Present
- Reading Research Quarterly, 2003–2006
- The California Reader, 2000–2003
- Journal of Literacy Research, 1996–2001
- Kids InSight Series, International Reading Association, 1999–2003
- Reading Research and Instruction, 1999–2005
- National Reading Conference Yearbook, 1996 and 1999
Accreditation and Program Review
Boyd, F. B., with contributions from Aloe, A. M., & Cantaffa, D. T (2011). Inquiry Brief for the accreditation renewal of the Teacher Education Program, University at Buffalo, SUNY, Graduate School of Education. Submitted to the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC), June 26, 2011